Tuesday 28 February 2017

Leftover happiness





There’s no forward, everything spins in curves
comes back to the same point and place,
what to do? no backward either, sideways,
the same coordinates,  and nothing swerves


an inch -  only the old sugar jar lid -
I spun it today, the thread broke, couldn’t screw
it back on. Not anything of value,
recycled - mayonnaise? jam? - to begin with,


but it came from somewhere that’s young, happy
the details of contents I’ve forgotten
long ago, just that the memories sweeten
the sugar. I suppose it’ll have to be


thrown away at last, it’s spinning useless -
just have to scoop out the last happiness.





Back in the couch/mouse potato mode and healing as per medical orders, everything went well and I am back at the usual inaction station. This concludes my celebration of the mundane.  


Personally Feb's been a challenging month all round, in fact so far year 2017 shows every sign of turning into a full blown annus horribilis type thingy. Fingers crossed March works out better. 




8 comments:

  1. OH dear - I do hope March does not carry February or January leftovers into your mundane life. Ever onward and upward. Take care and heal. (I like the poem)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think, life is a roller coaster ride. Better days are ahead, Great sonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nila - yes I sincerely hope March and the rest of the year improves for you ... but for now heal up and rest to recover as easily as you can. Remember the happiness - take care and all the very best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Remember, it can only get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What happened to you? I missed some posts and now look! You're recovering from some injury! I'm sure it's my fault... Anyway, wishing you a full and speedy recovery and a much, much better spring than winter!!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take care!
    It will get better, it has too!
    Ever forward, always upward, the answer is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nila, I hope you are healing at a great rate. Inaction will help. I love your use of the mundane as subject matter. I'm road trippin' in Outback Oz, so only have sparse wifi. Luckily I have some now, but am so starving after driving 500 kilometres today!

    Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there,

    Its a really interesting blog you got here.
    I'm reaching out to you to share that I am running a brand in Mumbai which is focused at bringing poets to the limelight. I publish books on poetry.
    The name of my venture is - Poets' Choice and the books can be searched by typing the same name on Amazon.
    It will be my pleasure and honor to receive encouragement from you, if you can share about my voyage as a poet and publisher developing the brand in your blog.

    Thanking you,

    Akshay Sonthalia

    ReplyDelete