Thursday 5 June 2014

Pearls, beads, and wisdom











My final farewell is watching
the work of a known artisan -
the beads threaded on a string,
the silk knotted after each one.


I dither over a pendant - 
it seems somewhat expensive
ultramarine with dark accents
left matte by the gem-smiths.


He sees me drop the item,
“Madame, don’t look so upset,
there is always a next time
for reworking stones and budgets.”


I pay for what I’ve purchased
and quietly leave the old shop;
For me there will be no next,
no rewrites, the time is up.






4 comments:

  1. Is the time really up? Shall there be no rewrites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no rewrites possible on this budget at least :)

      Delete
  2. Intriguing Nila. I liked the details in this poem. Intricately weaved. :-)

    ReplyDelete